Planet Nine aims to inspire the modern traveller to discover global destinations and cultures beyond the standard tourist path wisely, mindfully and responsibly.
We want to change the way that people travel, to encourage the curiosity and creativity of the modern nomad and encourage love and kindness for our beautiful planet and all cultures and people on it. We aim to produce inspiring content, intelligent discussion and mind-blowing stories that leave our readers well informed and brimming with wanderlust.
We are consistently looking for creatives that can bring new and exciting ideas through words, photography, video, podcasts, illustrations, story telling and interview. We want to share destinations, people and stories from all corners of the globe and produce inspiring and beautiful editorial for our readers.
If you believe that you have a new and exciting idea, a story to tell or an insight to share, we want to hear from you. Our editorial team happily welcome pitches at email@example.com – but beforehand, please read our submission guidelines below.
Our rates differ subject to experience and the size and type of the project pitched.
What we are looking for:
- True tales of connection between different cultures, smart ideas and intriguing stories. We welcome articles that discuss how travel intersects with another field such as sports, food, medicine, design, art, literature, style, spirituality, mindfulness, wellness, fitness, lifestyle, beauty.
- Destination guides from trendy locals that are in-the-know of the hottest spots and new openings around town. Our destination guides should only be written by people with real off-the-beaten track knowledge which include hidden gems and secret insider tips. Can include food guides, art guides, market guides, shopping guides, where to stay, what to do, local sports, culture, festivals etc.
- We welcome pitches that discuss difficult topics or serious issues such as climate change, conservation, activism, beauty or politics.
- We welcome creative content and use of different media such as photo journals, illustration and film.
- We love short films and documentaries based on specific topics. These don’t need to be edited to a high quality or filmed on fancy equipment as we can do this ourselves – we welcome and support submissions from amateur photographers and film makers.
- We welcome pitches from professionals and may consider plugging brands in our articles as long as we feel that they are aligned with our brand guidelines.
- We look for stories that involve subcultures and interesting characters, or provide a new lens with which to view an unfamiliar destination.
What we are not looking for:
- We don’t publish fictional stories.
- We are not interested in destination guides that only include tourist hot spots.
- Pre-written articles that were not written with us in mind, or stories that have already been published elsewhere. We want to stay interesting, so please pitch with a unique angle in mind.
- Destination overviews without a real story. We like to see a narrative with personality, time and place and original ideas.
- Although we are happy to discuss sensitive issues (and it is important to), we will not post any article that encourages expeditions or activities that involve any sort of animal or human exploitation. e.g. tiger kingdoms.
How to pitch your idea
- Don’t just suggest destinations you want to cover or pitch a broad guide – tell us the core of the story, what your slant is and why it matters. If pitching a listicle, tell us what places, destinations or activities you wish to include. Be specific; the more detail, the better.
- Explain to us why you are the right person to write the piece – Tell us a bit about yourself. Is it a story that happened to you? Is it about a place you’ve lived in or travelled to? Where has your inspiration and insight come from and why is this topic important to you?
- Write the pitch in the same language and tone as you plan to write the article. We want our articles to be fun to read, engaging and compelling.
- When are you expecting to deliver a first draft?
- What will the word count be?
- Will it include media/photographs? (This is not required)
- Indicate if you require any logistical support – is this based on a trip you’ve already done or one you intend to take?
- Include examples of similar writing or articles you’ve done in the past, either linked or attached to the email as a PDF
We look forward to hearing from you and reading your ideas – please don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.